Sunday, August 16, 2009

Julie & Julia


What a sweet and charming movie. Julie and Julia chronicles the year Julie Powell spent making all 524 recipes in Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking cook book. It is a lovely story and made me think, how many other women out there find themselves in the same position? I know I have been there (several times) where you wake up and you can't do anything to motivate you to get up out of bed and get to work. Where work is the absolute last thing that you want to do and nothing about it is inspiring. It makes me think back to when I was a child and dreamed about growing up and the life that I would lead, somehow this is not what I dreamt about. I dreamt that I would change the world and make a difference that would impact millions of people. Yet today I find myself in a dark corner of my office building where I receive only 1-2 visitors per week (lonely co-workers hiding from their pathetic bosses or procrastinating on an uninspiring project). It is in this isolated corner office that over looks the parking lot next door that I find myself day in and day out dreaming about confectionery delights and different decorating techniques that I want to try and practice on my next creation. In my pursuit of being the best pastry chef that I can be, I wonder why I sometimes have no motivation to go and create joy in my life...What has the corporate world done to me? Today I find myself on the couch, typing away wanting to go try my hand at peanut butter cream frosting...mmmmmm but I am torn...do I create yummy or finish the pile of laundry that sits in front of me taunting my every move? Decisions. Today, laundry wins out before the sweets, but tomorrow who knows who will win the battle. In the words of Julia Child, "Bon Appetite!"

No comments:

Post a Comment